Rio de Janeiro is a spectacular holiday destination in Brazil. You can discover the city through its well-networked public transport system, however, if you want to enjoy the freedom of exploring top attractions then consider renting a car in Rio.
Most of the roads in Rio are in good condition, but you will experience reckless driving, roads with potholes, lombadas (speed bumps), and carjacking. You can enjoy a safe driving experience in Rio with a strong road sense and the driving and rental tips given below.
Car Rental Tips
The minimum driving age is 18 years and it is recommended to hire a car in Rio from reputed, renowned car-rental agencies. Also, check the working condition of the headlights, jack, tires inclusive of spares, and seat belts. Travellers who are hiring a car should carry their International Driving Permit, so as to avoid any overcharging by rental agencies.
If you are visiting Rio for the first-time, then prefer getting well-acquainted with the local traffic scene before driving around.
- You will need to drive on the right-hand side.
- The use of seat belts is mandatory.
- Your children should be in the backseat and check for apt child restraint systems for their safety.
- There is a zero tolerance for drink driving in Rio.
- Avoid using your cell phone while driving.
- Wear closed shoes, as driving in flip flops is considered illegal.
- Prefer keeping doors and windows closed to avoid carjacking, and avoid deserted or poorly lit places.
- The national speed limit is 50 to 90kph (31 to 56mph.)
- The speed limit would drop as you approach the highway pedestrian crossings.
Tollbooths (Portuguese: Pedagio)
Tollbooths are located along some highways and the fees vary depending on the type of vehicle.
Rent a car in Rio de Janeiro and enjoy driving by following these simple tips, rules. Now you can visit the top-rated Rio attractions the way you wish.